going home today.....

So, here it is. The last day of vacation. We go home today. I have second guessed my last post several times. Should I have written it? Do I sound like a horrible mom? But, it is how I felt. And I want to be truthful. Overall, we have had a nice time. I just have to remember that we are who we are. I can't try to force my kids to be someone they aren't.

I have fallen in to the trap of thinking that if my children have problems, anxiety, developmental issues it must mean I am doing something wrong. But they just are who they are. I have to work with their personalities and strengths, not try to force them to do what I want.

Yesterday we went down to the historic part of Newport. We had purchased a groupon for visits to 3 museums down there. A wax museum, Ripleys Believe it or Not museum and Undersea Gardens. I had prepped my daughter with the fact that there may be something that scares her in one of these museums, and if she wanted to just close her eyes it would be okay and I would lead her through the part. Well, we got into the door of the wax museum, she saw something move and it was all over. She wanted to leave. I tried to convince her it would be okay, but then I honored her wishes. My husband and I took turns with our son going through the first two museums, while we all went into Undersea Gardens. THAT she liked. =) Instead of pushing and ending up with a meltdown, we worked with it.

I guess that is what it is all about. Learning who we are and how to play to our strengths.

So, we have had a lovely time. It was so nice to get away. And I feel like a trip to the ocean was just what I needed to be reminded of how BIG my God is and how BIG His love is. =)



0 comments:

Post a Comment